White flashes after conversion

I am converting .wtv files to .mkv file and recently the conversions are having white flashes every 5-10 seconds. I thought it was because my MCEBuddy was outdated. So, I installed the new version and tried again but the video still has these flashes. This is converting a SYFY channel program but it is not limited to only one program on that channel. I have not converted anything from a different channel lately so I don’t know if that’s the problem or not.

Any help is appreciated

Could it be the player?

Try using VLC and see if happens. You can also upload the final converted video to our upload server and we can check it out.

I am using the latest VLC, that’s all I use for video files. It doesn’t happen on other videos I have on my PC though.

I checked back into previous recordings and this started after June 23rd conversion of one SYFY show and the following week’s episode. My computer is not on auto update and no updates have been installed in months.

Uploading to folder

I just checked and programs were installed on 7/1, date of 1st conversion with flashes. Nvidia GeForce Experience (update) and EPG123. Not sure if either of those would cause the issue though. Video drivers have not been updated as it causes error in WMC.

If you’re using hardware acceleration then try turning it off and converting it and see if that helps. Does it also flash in WMP?

I do not see the flashes when using WMP but I do see pixelization at times where the screen goes to a larger pixel. The original does not do this that I can tell. And if I am finding the correct setting in expert settings, hardware acceleration is off

Okay it sounds like the codecs in WMP and VLC are handling the video differently. What profile are you using? Try changing the encoder, if the profile is using ffmpeg then change it to use handbrake and vice versa.

I am using MKV normal profile but I do not know how to change the encoder. In the profiles.config I see in the [MKV Normal Quality] section “order=handbrake,ffmpeg,mencoder”. Do I just change the order to ffmpeg,handbrake,mencoder?

That’s correct

OK this is strange, I tested a different channel last night before I changed the encoder. I recorded a program on SCI channel to see if it would be different and it was. No flashes at all so it is something to do with the SYFY channel.

I will try and change the encoder and run it again on the SYFY program and see if that helps

1 Like

I tried it using ffmpeg encoder - same results. I was looking at the log and noticed something that doesn’t show on the one that is not flashing

Blockquote 2017-07-12T16:36:33 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base → Stream #0:00xa: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 384 kb/s
2017-07-12T16:36:33 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base → Stream #0:10xb: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
2017-07-12T16:36:33 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base → Stream #0:2[0xc]: Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1280x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], Closed Captions, 59.94 fps, 59.94 tbr, 10000k tbn, 119.88 tbc
2017-07-12T16:36:33 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base → Stream #0:3[0xffffffff]: Video: mjpeg, yuvj420p(pc, bt470bg/unknown/unknown), 200x113 [SAR 96:96 DAR 200:113], 90k tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc
2017-07-12T16:36:33 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base → Metadata:
2017-07-12T16:36:33 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base → title : TV Thumbnail
2017-07-12T16:36:33 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base → Stream #0:4[0xd]: Subtitle: eia_608

Stream 0:3 is what I am looking at. Is SYFY injecting something that is causing it?

No that’s just a MJPEG picture. It’s ignored.

I suspect your stream may be corrupted which is why the encoders are dropping the packets and replacing them with fillers which is causing the white flashes. It could be related to your tuner drivers or firmware. Check your conversion logs and see the output of the encoders and if any errors show up.

The log is huge and there are a bunch of errors. A lot of “Past duration too large” . Does this mean anything “Process exited with code 0” ?

I tried converting the file to MP4 and it came out fine, no white flashes. Guess I’ll be converting to MP4 from now on…

“Process exited with code 0” mean it didn’t crash or fail but the errors are telling you a lot, your source isn’t clean and will probably lead to quality degradation or dropped packets.

It would be well worth your time to investigate why the source recordings are full of errors.
If you’re recording OTA it could represent a weak signal - boost it

If you’re recording through cable, analog - weak signal, digital - your tv tuner firmware / drivers are likely the issue. Maybe upgrade them or change them.