QSV Encoding with Latest 2.5.1_BETA - HandBrakeCLI-1.0.7 vs 1.1.2 vs 1.2.2

I have been using MCEBuddy for over 5 years now and noticed in the latest 2.5.1_BETA handbrake QSV encoding is much slower than previous handbrake versions. I know that you recently updated the version of handbrake and that this is most likely the cause.

In my testing, I see HandBrakeCLI-1.0.7 processes videos at around 100fps and versions after that (HandBrakeCLI-1.1.0 - 1.2.2) have much lower FPS (20fps to 50fps). Additionally, CPU usage with QSV for handbrake 1.0.7 is around 25-50%, while newer handbrakes take almost 100% of my CPU. I believe this is because of changes handbrake made with QSV detection and support for x265 encoding.

I am running MCEBuddy x64 on my Windows 7 x64 machine with an Intel Core i5-4690K Haswell CPU @ 3.50GHz.

I have attached four logs to show the differences in performance. Are there any other ways to improve QSV performance besides replacing the handbrakeCLI.exe to the older version on this PC?

MCEBuddy - Good Day NY - Handbrake 1.0.7.log (686.4 KB)
MCEBuddy - Good Day NY - Handbrake 1.1.1.log (682.3 KB)
MCEBuddy - Price is Right - Handbrake 1.0.7.log (707.9 KB)
MCEBuddy - Price is Right - Handbrake 1.1.2.log (721.7 KB)

Try changing your profile to use ffmpeg first (with the latest build), see how it performs.

Handbrake changed it’s libraries starting 1.1 so it’s possible the new libraries aren’t working as well for your hardware as the older ones. It’s also possible that your graphics drivers aren’t working as well with the new libraries (try changing the drivers) - it’s essentially the drivers and libraries compatibility that determines the performance/stability.

I noticed that your system has both AMD and Intel hardware encoders:

→ Detected hardware encoder capability →
{
“hardwareBrand”: “Intel”,
“codecType”: “Encoder”,
“hardwareCodecPresent”: true,
“h265Codec”: false,
“h264Codec”: true
}
→ Detected hardware encoder capability →
{
“hardwareBrand”: “AMD”,
“codecType”: “Encoder”,
“hardwareCodecPresent”: true,
“h265Codec”: true,
“h264Codec”: true
}

It looks like your AMD encoder may be more powerful than your intel encoder, with the latest build you can select the encoder of your choice, try setting it to AMD in the Conversion Task → Expert Settings page.

I’ll give the AMD encoder a shot. However, in the past my Intel CPU with QSV was faster by 3 or 4 times. The Gpu is only a XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy - do you really think it is faster?

Also, does ffmpeg support QSV?

At the moment I am using an older handbrakeCLI.exe since I’m getting 100-200fps for conversions on this machine,like I did in past betas a year or two ago

Yes with the latest 2.5.1 build of MCEBuddy, both ffmpeg and handbrake support QSV, AMF and CUDA and MCEBuddy has support to detect and try multiple hardware encoders should one fail before falling back to software.

However you can also adjust the order manually to use the encoder if your choice first.

thanks will check

BTW, we’re seeing 100+fps on h264 encoding even with a very old Sandy bridge chipset. It may be related to the graphics driver compatibility with the new library.

What version of the Intel Graphics Drivers are you using for that machine?

10.18.10.5069 and 10.18.10.3958

ok - i will try those versions. I am currently using version 10.18.14.5067

I installed Intel Graphics 10.18.10.3958 for my i5-4690K CPU. I am still getting 15 fps via the handbrake installed with the latest MCEBuddy beta.

I am also using a Haswell CPU and I am getting only 22 fps with QSV encoding.
I have also a nVidia GT1030, but that card has only a HW decoder inside, no encoder.

Where I can find the older version of Handbrake?

LE: Found them:

LLE: The 1.0.7 and 1.1.0 crash on my computer.

You could try the latest 2.5.3 build, it’s got updated handbrake libraries

1 Like