Manual Files Being Terminated

Request Type:
BUG / NEW FEATURE

MCEBuddy Version and Type (64bit):

Operating System and Type (Windows 10 64bit):

Summary of the problem or suggestion:

The error comes up randomly in the logs and is false as the directory and the filename both are well under 250 characters.

“ERROR> 2020-05-19T23:19:28 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager → Add manual files terminated.
ERROR : The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.”

The only way to fix it is to reinstall the program which works for a certain amount of days/weeks until the same error is given.

Steps to replicate the bug:
Add files manually

Screenshots:
No needed.

I see what’s going on. It’s a limitation in windows that the total filename and path length cannot exceed a certain length as you can see. So Windows is killing it but MCEBuddy keeps trying again and hence you get stuck.

A quick short fix is to delete the manualqueue file in the Config directory where MCEBuddy is installed. This contains the list of manually added files and it gets stuck in a loop trying to process the same entry from that file.

Can you attach your MCEBuddy.log file so I can take a look where exactly this issue is taking place.

Fixed in today’s 2.4.5 BETA build. Check it out, it should gracefully handle this situation and remove the file from manualqueue with an appropriate message/details on the logs. Thanks for reporting this.

Great! Thanks Goose. I will install and continue to monitor for the same error if it comes back.

Seems to happen again. I got this message today.

ERROR> 2020-05-29T20:40:02 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Add manual files:\?\E:\DVR\Plex\TV Shows (TS).grab\5f23ad485d43a5b918784fa1e61dd9bf717461f2-d996d53a6bedd792b9bcb5ad2310f2d2a3c74eec\Better Homes And Gardens - 2020-05-29 19 00 00 - 2020 - Forrest Victoria Italian Chicken Noodle Soup Eco-Friendly And Budget-Wise Gardening Tips.ts

After changing to a different directory and manually adding it works again.

What is happening here?

Your fileystem or folder is corrupted. I see a random share path at the beginning of the file path \\? reported by windows
\\?\E:\DVR\Plex\TV Shows (TS)\.grab\5f23ad485d43a5b918784fa1e61dd9bf717461f2-d996d53a6bedd792b9bcb5ad2310f2d2a3c74eec\Better Homes And Gardens - 2020-05-29 19 00 00 - 2020 - Forrest Victoria Italian Chicken Noodle Soup Eco-Friendly And Budget-Wise Gardening Tips.ts which is making your file path invalid.

That can’t be right as I have no problems with the other shows from the same path.

After more testing it seems most shows are fine but that particular show runs into too long path error (sometimes).

Can this 250 character limit imposed be cancelled or ignored in the app?

That’s error is from windows itself, MCEBuddy is just reporting it. Your filepath is invalid which indicates a corrupted filesystem or the software creating the files is causing the issue. No filepath should start with \\?, that’s just invalid.

As a simple test move the file to a different folder / disk and rename it and try it again.

The filesystem has been checked and is fine. Might be an issue with how it is automatically being passed to MCEbuddy using a script from Plex. Are you able to look at the script and see if you can notice anything wrong?

thanks

Script Attached.

MCEBuddyScriptv2.bat (453 Bytes)

@Goose @mcebuddy2x any news on this?