QueueManager Long file names error

Just out after months of using my MCEBUDDY config for \Library\G_TVdir, out of the blue I noticed nothing was being processed.

I looked into the log and found this:

ERROR> 2017-12-10T15:02:27 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Unable to search for files in location \library\G_TVdir for monitor task tvdir
ERROR : The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

I searched and couldn’t find anything specific re MCEBuddy and this issue.

Anyone else? Any thoughts?

WIndows 10 Pro, 1709, build 16299.98

mcebuddy.log (19.8 KB)

That sounds like a message retuned from windows. Windows has length limitations on file paths but your file path looks very short to me.

I’m wondering if there any characters or the way it’s setup causing an issue or if it’s something else masked as path problem.

Can you try to remove the _ from the path leading character and see if that helps.

Also try to reboot the machine incase it’s a failed authentication issue (in which case we may need to update the log messages).

I ran TLPD (Too Long Paths Detector) http://tlpd.sourceforge.net/ and it found 1 new recording where the showname%.%season%##.%episode%##.title all together violated Windows length characters. Why these producers make the titles so long. This one was almost a full sentence.

With that said, for two days it shut down the entire QueueManager process of MCEbuddy. Maybe an ignore and move on instruction could be made in the program so if “The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.” happens again the compliant folders and files could be processed by the QueueManager?

EDIT: As soon as I fixed the name the QueueManager began its process again.

2 Likes

Can you provide with us the details please so we can also put some checks into the software

QueueManager stopped searching for new files when it came to a file that violated Windows Long paths. In other words, d:\whatever\whatever\showname%.%season%##.%episode%##.title.ts combined was longer than the 260 characters permitted.

It was just a freak situation where the name of the show, title of the episode and my folder structure went over 260 characters. It was the title of the episode that did it.

The log for MCEBuddy was set on debug and the last line in the log was “The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.”

Even when I stopped the service, renamed mcebuddy.log and restarted the service, QueueManager would proceed as normal, even adding files until it reached the same d:\whatever\whatever\showname%.%season%##.%episode%##.title.ts then nothing else was processed.

More specifically:_ 2017-12-10T14:27:23 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> MCEBuddy engine started. Setting engine last running state to start._
ERROR> 2017-12-10T14:37:34 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Unable to search for files in location \library\G_TVdir for monitor task tvdir
ERROR : The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

Computer running MCEBuddy
Windows 10 pro, 64 bit

Computer running the network share
Windows 10 pro, 64 bit

Both computers do have the group policy Enable NTFS long paths option in “Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem > NTFS” enabled.

I think that Long Path Tool can help you with this.

1 Like