Corrupt files and Max Chapter Markers for Commercial Removal?

I think I’m hitting a limit to the number of commercials that can be removed via chapter markers. I know VideoProc limits me to 10 manual cuts and after watching MCEBuddy attempt to process the same ABC 20/20 program with this long list of markers (see below) the progress bar just goes ape before finishing with a corrupted file.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

Sample from ABC 20/20 Idaho Murders recorded from Hulu via PlayOn…

Menu #1
ID : 4
Format : Timed Text
Codec ID : text
Duration : 1 h 36 min
Language : English
Menu For : 1,2,3
00:00:00.000 : Video
00:00:08.070 : Advertisement
00:00:38.674 : Video
00:09:51.587 : Advertisement
00:11:24.311 : Video
00:18:54.642 : Advertisement
00:20:09.872 : Video
00:27:40.282 : Advertisement
00:29:12.332 : Video
00:36:20.368 : Advertisement
00:37:52.747 : Video
00:45:02.455 : Advertisement
00:46:34.631 : Video
00:55:09.302 : Advertisement
00:56:41.493 : Video
01:04:39.896 : Advertisement
01:06:12.290 : Video
01:14:39.655 : Advertisement
01:16:11.298 : Video
01:22:06.544 : Advertisement
01:23:37.999 : Video
01:29:50.394 : Advertisement
01:31:22.477 : Video

There’s no limit in the app. Can you attach your logs (978.0 KB)

Here you go…

Okay so it found all 11 segments and tries to cut them out but it looks like the original recording is corrupted so it’s having trouble with the cutting and merging process:

2023-03-20T01:36:12 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.FFmpeg → C:\Windows\Temp\working1\ABC 20_20 - s45e15 - Horror in Idaho The Student Murders_ConcatList.txt: Invalid data found when processing input

2023-03-20T01:36:28 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.AVIDemux → [detectTs] 06:36:28-538 [TS Demuxer] Not a TS file

2023-03-20T01:37:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.FFmpegMediaInfo → [null @ 000001e09749a980] Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 0: 27 >= 27
2023-03-20T01:37:31 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.FFmpegMediaInfo → [null @ 000001e09749a980] Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 0: 42 >= 42

Can you upload your original recoding so we can analyze it to see what’s going on?

File Info

“ABC 20_20 - s45e15 - Horror in Idaho The Student Murders.mp4”
Uploaded to FTP in folder “Robfwtx-PlayOnIssue”


I had asked PlayOn what had changed when they finished program to go from 720p to 1080p because I had been having issues running it through MCEBuddy. They proceeded to tell me it was completely rewritten and the error had to be with MCEBuddy.

I wish I had noticed that message in the log. It looked repetitive and I’d start fading off to nap before getting all the way to the end.

Thank you. Once you have a report, I should be able to advise PlayOn that there is indeed an error in their routine.

Thanks will check it out. You aren’t the only one having this issue. Use this workaround or downgrade to version 4.5 of PlayOn. They broke something in the new rewrite and it’s creating invalid files. This see this topic for more details about it. I’ll post back once I’ve analyzed your file further.

As I suspected the MP4 file being created by this new version of PlayOn is not compliant with the specs which is why when ffmpeg and avidemux try to transcode it, they go ape.

I sent it on up with a screenshot. We’ll see what comes from it.

1 Like

I found this for moov atom not found…

Method 3: Fix the ‘moov atom not found’ error with FFmpeg

You can fix the ‘moov atom not found’ issue in the FFmpeg platform using the ‘faststart’ command in the command prompt or cmd window of your computer. This command shifts the position of the moov atom to the beginning in a video file.

Download and run FFmpeg on your computer. Then, add the corrupt video file’s location in the cmd window, followed by the command line using faststart.

A command line in FFmpeg to fix the ‘moov atom not found’ error may look like this:

ffmpeg -i input_video_file.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -movflags faststart output_video_file.mp4.

Next, check if the moov error is fixed in the MP4 video file or not.

MP4Box fixed the file but stripped out every bit of program information and chapter markers.

Any ideas on how to salvage this information?

If the file/atom is corrupted then it could be likely that ffmpeg is dropping all the information (these are a linked list so it one is corrupted then the chain becomes corrupt) and I think that’s what you may be seeing. I will also look into separately when I get some time but clearly PlayOn needs to fix their encoder.

I have a ticket open. I have over a thousand credits so the guy should take a stab at it. From everything I’ve read on the error, it mainly comes about when the file was not properly closed. Camera recordings do this often or when a memory card is failing then the last bit gets corrupted. I know how to half a$$ fix the file but that means I have to manually make the cuts. Comskip, even when the file is fixed, doesn’t see the commercial breaks.

I’ll keep all in the loop. I’ve fought this for too long and it’s time to get some answers.

1 Like