[BUG] Subtitles failure cause entire conversion to fail

Hello.

I just did a successful one hour MP4 conversion on a particular file. At the very end, there was a problem with Subtitles (see excerpt below) which caused the entire conversion to fail.

In an ideal world, the converted file would have been produced without subtitles or at least left in the working directories. At the moment, everything is gone and the conversion was completely cancelled … which I think was a bit drastic.

Are there any current options that would allow this kind of conversion to move on despite this kind of subtitle problem (which I get maybe 1 in 10 conversion … so not so rare)?

Possibly a future enhancement request to allow the option to continue or error out?

Here is the entire log file if more details are needed:
Access.Live.S08E97.ts-DVR Conversionsk-2018-02-10T03-05-12.9167174-05-00.log (24.7 KB)

Here are a few lines of the log error:

2018-02-10T10:34:59 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.MP4Box --> Bad SRT formatting - expecting number got “>>.”
2018-02-10T10:34:59 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.MP4Box --> Error importing D:\Temp\MCEbuddy\working0\Access.Live.S08E97.srt:hdlr=sbtl: Corrupted Data in file/stream
–> Process exited with code 1
ERROR> --> Mp4Box adding subtitles failed
ERROR> 2018-02-10T10:35:01 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Adding subtitles and chapters failed

Do you have the original video file. If so can you please upload it to our server so we can figure out why the subtitle format was invalid. Do you know if the subtitles were extracted from the video file or if it’s was a separate SRT file that was provided to MCEBuddy. If it’s a separate file please include that.

The goal is not to have MCEBuddy fail, it does sanitize the subtitle files and removed an errors or corrects malformed files. We would prefer to fix the root cause. The reason it fails is because this would be considered an anomaly. If the subtitles don’t exists or are corrupted beyond the ability to repair it then MCEBuddy will ignore the file and still continue the conversion.

Thanks for checking this out.
The video is apparently too large to post here, so I will send a private link.

There was no external SRT file provided at the start of the conversion.

BrianGGG

I’m actually having the same issue. I’m extracting SRT from the broadcast, and it’s causing the entire thing to fail. Not sure why this is happening. I’ve recorded the last few Olympic broadcasts, and they have all failed. I wish it would just continue since I hardly even use the subtitles but like to have them. Probably going to have to disable subtitles entirely until there is a fix. :frowning:

2018-02-10T22:36:32 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.MP4Box --> Bad SRT formatting - expecting number got "Phoenixes are things that appear"
2018-02-10T22:36:32 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.MP4Box --> Error importing C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\working0\2018 Winter Olympics (2018) - 2018-02-09 20 00 00 - Opening Ceremony.srt:hdlr=sbtl: Corrupted Data in file/stream
--> Process exited with code 1

2018-02-11T01:10:33 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.MP4Box --> Bad SRT formatting - expecting number got "radford."
2018-02-11T01:10:33 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.MP4Box --> Error importing C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\working0\2018 Winter Olympics (2018) - 2018-02-10 23 31 00 - Figure Skating.srt:hdlr=sbtl: Corrupted Data in file/stream
--> Process exited with code 1

Thanks for that sample, we were able to reproduce the issue. The problem lay in the original recording some of the subtitle text lines were empty (technically a \0 null terminator), so MP4Box was expecting a line but instead it got nothing.

Anyways, we’ve patched this up and made the subtitles validation stronger, if it find any subtitles out of spec it’ll drop it and move on.

Try out today’s 2.4.9 BETA build

Fantastic, testing now. Thanks! :+1:

Works great, thanks!

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Conversion failing