Keep / Passthrough Multiple Subtitles Unconverted ( PGS )

Hello,

I’m working on automating the compression of my backups and so far have had mostly good luck replicating the manual process I was using. Subtitles are the one thing I’m stuck on so far. Is there any way to keep multiple unconverted subtitle tracks on an MKV file. I’m converting from mkv to mkv and just compressing the video down. I was previously doing this with handbrake through the gui. So far the only subtitles I have gotten out of MCEBuddy are a single track converted SRT file which is added to the MKV. Any insight would be much appreciated. I’m using version 2.4.9 with the following profile settings:

order=ffmpeg
ffmpeg-general=-threads 0
ffmpeg-video=-ss 0 -vf yadif=0:-1:1,hqdn3d -vcodec libx264 -b 1800k -x264opts me=hex:trellis=2:subq=8:partitions=all:8x8dct=1:ref=5:rc-lookahead=50:keyint=25:min-keyint=20:bframes=3:weightb=1:level=4.0:b-pyramid=normal:direct=auto:mixed-refs=1:deblock=-1,-1:no-fast-pskip=1:no-dct-decimate=1:b-adapt=2:threads=auto -map 0:v -sn
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec copy -map 0:a
ffmpeg-audioac3=-acodec copy -map 0:a
ffmpeg-ext=.mkv
ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip
PreConversionCommercialRemover=true

Thanks
Cyle

Currently MCEBuddy only supports embedding a single subtitle file. We are looking to add the feature of multiple subtitle tracks in future. It will pick the first subtitle track encountered or if you’ve selected an audio language in the conversion task settings it will pick a subtitle track with the same audio language setting.

Try today’s 2.4.10 BETA build and use one of the build in profiles. MCEBuddy now supports processing, extracting and embedding multiple tracks if present in the original file.

Thank you so much! I had a chance to test this today with a file and it does now created and embed multiple srt subs into the MKV file. There are two reasons however that I would still be interested in having the original subtitles pass through unconverted though.

One is probably just a configuration issue on my end. I have not been able to get the OCR extraction to work with PGS subtitles. I end up with a pretty garbled very large file in the end that is unreadable. I’m assuming I just have something set up incorrectly.

The second is that there are some times where having the original PGS is almost required and doesn’t work as well with SRT, for instance Sing-a-Long subtitle tracks. For now it seems I will need to continue merging the PGS subs back in with MKVToolNix after the file is converted. Buying MCEBuddy has really streamlined the rest of my conversion pipeline so that step is a small price to pay.

Thanks again!

The subtitles need to be extracted because MCEBuddy needs to cut them and adjust them to match the commercial removal and other adjustments made by the profile settings. Hence it can’t be just copied over.

If you upload a sample of the original file to our server we can see if they can be handled in a better fashion.

I’m having the same issue. PGS subs are useless after being processed by MCEBuddy. They end up huge useless files with and .SRT extension that no video player can read.

Please either tell us how to make PGS subs actually useable after being processed by MCEBuddy or add a way for subs to be extracted unprocessed so they can be added back in and actually work. There is no need to process a PGS sub as it is from a Blu-Ray or 4K source in the first place an there will ne no need to deal with comskip.

Right now I have to use a separate program to extract the subs before I convert it to HEVC then I have to use another program to put them back into the MKV container as Emby won’t read PGS subs externally and there really should not be a need for this extra work.

It can’t be hard to simply let MCEBuddy extract subs unprocessed.