The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon - Metadata

This has been an an issue for me for a couple of years, but I thought I would finally ask about it.

HDHomerun records the show “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” on October 5, 2018 with metadata of Season 6 Episode 10

IMDB shows S6E10 as - Queen Latifah/Kelly Clarkson/Tony Bennett/Diana Krall (not correct, Sept 18, 2018)
TVDB shows S6E10 as - Mark Ruffalo, Parkland students, Travis Scott, Jaboukie Young-White (correct, Oct 5, 2018)

I have setup in the profile -> Expert settings The Original Title “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” and the TVDB series ID “270261”

The TVDB matched the show date and data (which is also in the HDHR file) but the IMDB is overwriting the meta data?

This is the only show that I seem to have this issue with. What might I have configured incorrectly?

Looking for guidance

This is always a tricky question, what is the “right” source of the truth. Sometimes it’s IMDB other times it’s TVDB. In General MCEBuddy starts with TVDB and fills any missing gaps with IMDB.

If you look through your conversion log it’ll show you the sequence of the metadata updates and what it considers the source of “truth”. Also try using the latest 2.4.9 BETA as we’ve made some more updates to reconcile the metadata information from various sources. Feel free to attach your log if want us to take a look at it.

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon S06E10 20181005 [20181006-0334].mpg-Convert to M4V-2018-10-05T23-42-45.6310117-05-00.log (1.0 MB)

Attached is the file, curious what you can see with your eyes. It appears to get the meta data from the HDHR file…then TVDB based on my expert setting, but then the IMDB trumps it. I thought that the expert setting overrides the other settings.

I appreciate the support, like I said it has been happening for along time, just finally decided to ask. MCEBUDDY does thinks correctly 99% of the time.

I will try the latest beta, i’m currently on the 8/31 version

Try today’s 2.4.9 BETA build and it should fix the IMDB override. The question always remains through which database is more accurate, TVDB, TV, IMDB or something else and who takes priority? Right now it’s set to TVDB taking priority for TV Series.

I’m running into a similar issue with the same show. I have always had problems with the different providers and ended up adding the TVDB ID to the show config. Now occasionally it will run into a file where it will overwrite the show metadata with the wrong episode. It looks like it’s resorting to using the original air date to determine the episode but that results in the wrong metadata. Version 2.5.6 of the app. I have an example where I have two episodes of the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, S09E39 and S09E40. The original file is named correctly. Episode 39 results in a correctly named file after the conversion, but episode 40 is renamed as Episode 39. Any ideas on what I should change in my configs? Logs are attached.
Incorrect File Rename.zip (97.3 KB)

The root cause of your issue is that the broadcast date information in TVDB is incorrect. We’ve made a slight adjustment to the metadata matching algorithm which should fix this issue for you. Try using today’s 2.5.7 beta build, now it matches by matches by broadcast date as the last option where possible.