Remaning not respecting s0xe0x and saving files as

I have been having issues when I’m renaming series which include epsisode titles which are similar or the same from previous (or other seasons, ie, The Block, MasterChef, etc), so I know now, to remove the episode titles before adding them to MCEBuddy.
I also make sure I clean/remove any metadata in the file first, because even though I have “Overwrite Metadata from Filename” checked, it 100% never ignores the metadate.

So that brings me to an ussue that happened yesterday.

I added 3 episodes e01, e02 and e03 to MCEBuddy and my naming rules were ignored/gave odd results.

the episode SeriesTitle s01e02.mkv was saved as SeriesTitle - s01e01 - titlename.mkv and episode 2 was named SeriesTitle - s01e01(1) - titlename.mkv

First Ladies of Hip-Hop.zip (100.3 KB)

Why did this happen?

(I’m unhappy with the x265 quality - so sporadic and not reliable - ANOTHER topic) so I’ve just been using the matching and renaming functions for the past 6 months or so.)

If you look through the log files you’ll see what’s going on.

In this case, MCEBuddy extracted the season/episode information from the filename correctly. It also extracts the original broadcast date/time from the file metadata.

2023-10-09T03:24:17 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData → Video Tags extracted from file/name metadata →
Title: First Ladies of Hip-Hop
SubTitle:
Description: The story of how women in hip-hop fought for their voices to be heard.
Network:
Network Affiliate:
Parental Rating:
Media Credits: BBC TV;BBC Two;
Genres: Music
Season: 1
Episode: 2
Banner:
Banner URL:
IMDB Id:
MovieDB Id:
TVDB Id:
Is Movie: False
Is Sports: False
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2023-10-07T14:35:00
RecordedDateTime: 1900-01-01T00:00:00
SeriesPremiereDate: 2023-05-05T00:00:00
CopyProtected: False
SageTV FileID:
SageTV MediaFileID:

Then it goes to TVDB and looks up the information looking for a match and it tries to match the information by the Original broadcast date and you’ve checked the option to Prioritize matching by Air date in the metadata corrections page of Conversion task settings.
TVDB return S1/E1 for this episode when matching by First aired date; and you’ve checked the option to Overwrite the metadata from TVDB in your MCEBuddy metadata correction settings, so it takes the wrong information provided by TVDB.

INFORMATION> 2023-10-09T03:24:17 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData → Downloading Series details
2023-10-09T03:24:17 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData → Overwrite title from internet → TVDB
INFORMATION> 2023-10-09T03:24:17 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData → Recording Type Show
INFORMATION> 2023-10-09T03:24:17 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData → Checking TheTVDB
→ Looking for Premiere Year information in text
→ Found series match on TVDB by Original Broadcast Date. Updated video tags →
Title: First Ladies of Hip-Hop
SubTitle: Episode 1
Description: The women behind the beats - hip-hop’s great women pioneers always struggled for recognition, both in Britain and the US. Now they share their stories of how they shaped the genre.
Network: BBC Two
Network Affiliate:
Parental Rating:
Media Credits: BBC TV;BBC Two;
Genres: Documentary
Season: 1
Episode: 1
Banner: C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\cache\First Ladies of Hip-Hop.jpg
Banner URL:
IMDB Id:
MovieDB Id:
TVDB Id: 440417
Is Movie: False
Is Sports: False
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2023-10-07T14:35:00
RecordedDateTime: 1900-01-01T00:00:00
SeriesPremiereDate: 2023-10-07T00:00:00
CopyProtected: False
SageTV FileID:
SageTV MediaFileID:

Basically wrong TVDB data and configuring MCEBuddy to force overwrite the metadata information as provided by TVDB is causing your issues. I suspect if you turn off this forcing it may work depending on what TVDB returns or change MCEBuddy’s metadata correction settings to not match up Original broadcast date.

Thanks for your reply. I looked at the metadata from all the three original files and see that the metadata wasn’t removed/stripped when I used Handbrake to peform the transcode.
I will uncheck “Prioritize Air Date Matching” - since that really can be a nuisance…

However, unless a specific series isn’t in TVDB, I have it overwritten the metadata from Internet - TVDB because the series name can change slightly between services.

One may include an apostrophe, the series premiere date could be different, etc. and then my Television Folder becomes a mess and difficult to manage.

Thanks for checking out the logs and I’ll change and save my Handbrake profiles to not pass through metadata. ** that said, shouldn’t “Overwrite metadata from filename” ignore ALL metadata???

BTW (When I look at the metadata using Windows File Properties, each file clearly states Episode 1, 2 or 3…

Your issue is this box (and the Prioritize air date matching):

That takes precedence over everything else. Disable it if you don’t want TVDB to overwrite your metadata

thanks, I’ll uncheck that box. That will save me hours of time when transcoding folders and seasons of series from older content recorded and stored from WMC.

Then can you please help explain why s04e03 is being changed to s01e03?

The Block 2003 - s04e03 - Episode 3.mp4-PlayOn TRIM-2023-10-11T16-20-44.log (2.8 MB)

and also help my fix why these episodes aren’t being matched with the proper episode subtitle (episode title)?

Updated
removed the “Episode #” from the filenames and it’s now replacing the subtitle with the subtitle from TVDB.

is there a setting in either Config or Profiles I can change to FORCE and or BLOCK MCEBuddy from reading file Metadata?

The Block - s04e23 - Episode 23.mp4-Instant MKV-2023-10-11T19-12-26.log (727.6 KB)
The Block - s04e24 - Episode 24.mp4-Instant MKV-2023-10-11T19-15-00.log (721.2 KB)

Once again, you still haven’t disabled TVDB overwriting the metadata:

2023-10-11T19:15:02 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData → Overwrite title from internet → TVDB

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Added option to force metadata lookup by Episode name, Season/Episode No or Original air date under Conversion task → Expert settings → Metadata corrections

Now I won’t have to manually rename every reality show which reuses the same episode names season after season!!!