The GUI says the service unavailable but Windows shows it running

I have been banging my head against the wall. Just upgraded from 2.5 to 2.6. Conversions were running in 2.5 before the upgrade. I uninstalled 2.5 and installed 2.6. The GUI won’t connect. The service is running. A netstat -a -o >prt.txt does not show the engine attached to any port so I assume this is the problem. I turned off all firewalls, made no difference. What could hang the engine and prevent it attaching a port.

1. Open the services and see if MCEBuddy service engine has started. If not then start it
  2. If you open the GUI app and click on events it’ll show you the windows event logs for the MCEBuddy service engine and installer. That may give some clues.
  3. Did you change the ports that MCEBuddy uses? This would be in the mcebuddy.conf file
  4. If nothing else try a clean install

Also see the installation issues topic

Thanks for your help. I did get it working. What puzzled me was the Windows control panel always indicated the service was running. I could stop it and restart it and it seemed to be OK. I never changed ports and the config file had the port correctly defined. I had already done one uninstall/reinstall and the problem did not go away. I did see the " This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified." error in he event log following your suggestion. The help topic indicated I needed to fix the install. I did another uninstall and this time I rebooted the computer after the uninstall. Before doing the install I checked the service to make sure it was removed, it was. The install directory was empty but I went ahead and deleted the directory too. I decided to leave the history, config and profile files and do the install. I could go through all these steps again and delete the files if the problem remained. Fortunately, after the install it worked. Thanks again.

1 Like

Unfortunately, after going through all that, I still cannot make the Service available to MCEBuddy.