I have been banging my head against the wall. Just upgraded from 2.5 to 2.6. Conversions were running in 2.5 before the upgrade. I uninstalled 2.5 and installed 2.6. The GUI won’t connect. The service is running. A netstat -a -o >prt.txt does not show the engine attached to any port so I assume this is the problem. I turned off all firewalls, made no difference. What could hang the engine and prevent it attaching a port.
- Open the services and see if MCEBuddy service engine has started. If not then start it
- If you open the GUI app and click on events it’ll show you the windows event logs for the MCEBuddy service engine and installer. That may give some clues.
- Did you change the ports that MCEBuddy uses? This would be in the mcebuddy.conf file
- If nothing else try a clean install
Also see the installation issues topic
Thanks for your help. I did get it working. What puzzled me was the Windows control panel always indicated the service was running. I could stop it and restart it and it seemed to be OK. I never changed ports and the config file had the port correctly defined. I had already done one uninstall/reinstall and the problem did not go away. I did see the " This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified." error in he event log following your suggestion. The help topic indicated I needed to fix the install. I did another uninstall and this time I rebooted the computer after the uninstall. Before doing the install I checked the service to make sure it was removed, it was. The install directory was empty but I went ahead and deleted the directory too. I decided to leave the history, config and profile files and do the install. I could go through all these steps again and delete the files if the problem remained. Fortunately, after the install it worked. Thanks again.