Prioritize matching by Original Broadcast Date not working


#1

I’m having a number of reboot series (and some new ones using old names) being matched with the wrong series. I started to add to the metadata correction table, but it is becoming unwieldly. So, I am looking to the “Prioritize matching by Original Broadcast Date” setting to help.

My expectation for this setting is that it will use the original broadcast date available in the NPVR metadata to correctly find the correct series during the MCEbuddy metadata lookups. What I am finding is that MCEbuddy will first search TVDB and find the wrong match using season and ep, which in turn overwrites the original broadcast date in the metadata cache, so when it comes to TMDB to look up by original broadcast date, it is using the wrong date and finding the same wrong series that was found in TVDB.

Some of the series I encounter this with include: Happy Together, S.W.A.T., New Amsterdam, MacGyver, and others. I’ve uploaded the logs for S.W.A.T. and MacGyver.

The only reason I have the metadata lookup enabled, since NPVR metadata is already available, is that I want the premiere year available to name the file correctly for Plex to use for it’s lookups.

Can anyone confirm that perhaps the order of the lookups is the culprit?

MacGyver.S03E04.Guts Fuel Hope.ts-Convert to MKV-2018-10-20T00-39-16.8461433-04-00.log (895.9 KB)
S.W.A.T.S02E04.Saving Face.ts-Convert to MKV-2018-10-19T02-28-04.6374786-04-00.log (899.4 KB)


(RBoy) #2

I would recommend using the latest 2.4.9 beta version which has many improvements to metadata matching. If you’re still seeing an issue post back when the new logs and we can look into them.

There is an inherent issue to which source of data is the “truth”. TVDB, IMDB, TV.com etc. We have tried to address this conflict in many ways but it’s an ongoing process since no single source is perfect.


#3

Ok, I updated to the Oct 15 release yesterday and the results are different, but still incorrect.

First example is Magnum PI.

  1. TS no data
  2. Found NPVR XML has SD data
  3. Found TVDB by Original Broadcast Date
  4. Found TV.com match by ep and season --> changes the original broadcast date to 1981, but leaves other metadata intact
    The rest doesn’t matter as we’ve lost the correct original broadcast date.

Second, New Amsterdam, which I have a correction entry for it’s TVDBBId. This corrects the title to New Amsterdam (2018) and there doesn’t seem to be a lot more metadata lookup beyond TVDB.

Third, Hawaii Five-O, seems to lookup correctly.

Any idea why the Magnum PI ended up with bad data when H5 O didn’t?

Thanks

Magnum P.I.S01E05.Sudden Death.ts-Convert to MKV-2018-10-23T05-11-28.8340097-04-00.log (906.7 KB)
New Amsterdam.S01E04.Boundaries.ts-Convert to MKV-2018-10-23T02-31-52.9806641-04-00.log (901.0 KB)
Hawaii Five-0.S09E04.Aohe Kio Pohaku Nalo i Ke Alo Pali.ts-Convert to MKV-2018-10-23T02-03-56.3938211-04-00.log (909.4 KB)


(RBoy) #4

This is a tricky topic and that’s because each source of metadata is incomplete is on way. For example TV.com has Magnum PI the original version but not the new one. TVDB has SWAT original but not the new one.

So each one is complete and since the names matches they sometimes confused the series. There are other bugs with recording devices where the premiere date is mismatched so MCEBuddy tries to “correct” by using the right date from the online metadata services but in this case since the series was mismatched it ended up putting a wrong date.

We’ve added some more checks to help with this by matching the series year if available, try out today’s update and see if that helps. The only other solution is to revamp the entire metadata matching engine and give the user control what they consider the “source” of metadata (website or local information etc)


(Goose) #5

This has been fixed in today’s 2.4.9 BETA build.


#6

I updated to the Oct 24 build and it worked on Hawaii Five-O, but not SWAT or MacGyver.

I’ll grab the Oct 26 build and see what those changes produce.

Thanks