MCEBuddy service crashing

Request Type:
BUG

MCEBuddy Version and Type (32bit or 64bit):

2.4.7 64bit

Operating System and Type (32bit or 64bit):

Windows 7 64bit

Summary of the problem or suggestion:

I have been getting MCEBuddy service crashes on one of my Media Center machines. My second machine has not had any crashes. I started getting the crashes after I updated to 2.4.7. I can restart the service and it will work. I have attached Event Viewer errors, associated files, and the MCEBuddy log file.

Steps to replicate the bug:

Unknown

MCEBuddy_service_crash_11062017.zip (610.9 KB)

I’m guessing it is crashing on a specific file or files. We’ve seen this before. Your hard disk is corrupted and windows is forcing MCEBuddy to terminate when it tries to access the corrupted sectors. Don’t know why it does that but thats the root cause. Either your MCEBuddy installation is on a corrupted sector or your video file or temp folder is on a corrupted sector. Try to change the hard disk or don’t use that file which is causing the crash and it’ll fix your issue. This has been documented in the FAQ also I believe.

Ok, I will check that out. When I do restart it always completes conversion of all the files. The temp folder is on an SSD so I will have to figure that one out.

According to your logs the exception is coming from the .NET framework (not MCEbuddy per se).

Sig[3].Name=Fault Module Name
Sig[3].Value=clr.dll
Sig[4].Name=Fault Module Version
Sig[4].Value=4.7.2116.0
Sig[6].Name=Exception Code
Sig[6].Value=c0000005
Sig[7].Name=Exception Offset
Sig[7].Value=000000000019d8ad

It’s an Access Violation exception from your CLR.dll file. This could be due a buggy .NET setup (or the hard disk corruption we have seen in the past). See this:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/03d43a34-66b4-4d5e-86e5-d5f0b791bb63/net-framework-issues?forum=w8itpronetworking

https://community.dynamics.com/ax/f/33/t/117817

You may need to disable optimization as noted here: