MCE Buddy service unavailable, I have tried everything!

I have installed and reinstalled mcebuddy many times. I have followed the Installation and Uninstall issues but after I restart my computer mcebuddy never works. I have included the errors from the event viewer.

Error 3-Apr-2018 5:54 AM
MCEBuddy service failed to start. Error:System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: source
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource](IEnumerable1 source, Func2 predicate)
at MCEBuddy.Util.Ini.ReadString(String section, String key, String defVal)
at MCEBuddy.Configuration.MCEBuddyConf.ReadMonitorSettings(Ini configIni)
at MCEBuddy.Configuration.MCEBuddyConf…ctor(String configFile)
at MCEBuddy.Service.ServiceModule.OnStart(String[] args)

Error 3-Apr-2018 7:05 AM
Failed in handling the PowerEvent. The error that occurred was: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: source
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource](IEnumerable1 source, Func2 predicate)
at MCEBuddy.Util.Ini.ReadString(String section, String key, String defVal)
at MCEBuddy.Configuration.MCEBuddyConf.ReadMonitorSettings(Ini configIni)
at MCEBuddy.Configuration.MCEBuddyConf…ctor(String configFile)
at MCEBuddy.Service.ServiceModule.OnPowerEvent(PowerBroadcastStatus powerStatus)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.DeferredPowerEvent(Int32 eventType, IntPtr eventData).

Your mcebuddy configuration files are corrupted. Specifically something in your monitor settings is corrupted.
Attach your mcebuddy.conf file and we’ll try to check it out, meanwhile follow the “Clean Install” procedure listed in the FAQ.

I have been getting a tdr video scheduler error a lot lately. I am afraid my video card is starting to go.mcebuddy.conf (3.4 KB)

Seems to load here, if I were to wager a bet it would be your hard disk is beginning to go and has bad sectors on it. That would explains the messages above as well (it’s quite common to see random crashes or services being terminated when the hard disk is corrupted, see the FAQ’s)

Ok, I was guessing my hdd was going bad, I cloned it on to a solid state drive but it is possible that the ssd is starting to go.

I have just run multiple tests on my hard drives and I have not had one error.

Looks like my video driver was corrupting everything. I rolled back to a windows 8 driver and my computer is working and MCE Buddy fired up after a restart. Looks like this is solved!

1 Like