Hulu recordings - Ad Marker removal leaves 1 second of ad

I am trying to remove commercials with markers from Hulu recordings, and it is removing them all. but it leaves 1 second of Ad for every commercial it removes. Any way to extend what it removes to fix this?

Thanks

I think you can adjust that via the global removes portion of comskip - try playing with the delete show before and after attributes. It’s also worth checking the comskip forums - they may cover this topic as well. Good luck!

I thought using the “Use Markers” setting wasn’t using ComSkip?? Am I wrong?

Thanks!

it’s not - it’s using the xml or edl file to cut the video file using ffmpeg. How are you getting the markers?

If it’s via Plex, you need to modify the comskip.ini file to do that.

Sorry, should have said, I am using PlayOn

In that scenario, it should be playon that’s setting the markers. Is there any ability to change how it marks commercials?

I seem to be having the same issue. It seems when PlayOn records the show, it marks the commercial late by a couple seconds. I try to remedy that by using comskip and using the Global Removes > remove_before = 10 in the Comskip INI Editor v1.0 that comes with MCEBuddy. This still leaves a couple seconds no matter what value i change that to.

It seems no matter what number I choose for the remove_before, there is no effect on the few seconds commercial that is left over.This makes me wonder if the comskip editor doesn’t actually apply the changes. I open the editor in administrator and “save INI” after changes.

I made both the MCEBuddy and comskip shortest commercial length to 2 seconds in case that was the issue but that didn’t help.

All help will be greatly appreciated!
In Pursuit With John Walsh - s01e01 - Tragic Entanglement.mp4-Comskip-2020-06-19T13-08-00.log (857.0 KB)

PlanOn creates its own ad markers. MCEBuddy is using the ad markers from playon, it’s not running Comskip which is why your changes to comskip setting aren’t making any difference.

CHAPTER INFO →
Chapter No → 0
Start time (ms) → 0
End time (ms) → 734262
Chapter name → Video

Chapter No → 1
Start time (ms) → 734262
End time (ms) → 764809
Chapter name → Advertisement

Chapter No → 2
Start time (ms) → 764809
End time (ms) → 766001
Chapter name → Video

Chapter No → 3
Start time (ms) → 766001
End time (ms) → 890230

Chapter No → 4
Start time (ms) → 890230
End time (ms) → 1299983
Chapter name → Video

Chapter No → 5
Start time (ms) → 1299983
End time (ms) → 1424744

Chapter No → 6
Start time (ms) → 1424744
End time (ms) → 1960842
Chapter name → Video

Chapter No → 7
Start time (ms) → 1960842
End time (ms) → 2037988

Chapter No → 8
Start time (ms) → 2037988
End time (ms) → 2556484
Chapter name → Video

Chapter No → 9
Start time (ms) → 2556484
End time (ms) → 2586813

Chapter No → 10
Start time (ms) → 2586813
End time (ms) → 2588019
Chapter name → Video

Chapter No → 11
Start time (ms) → 2588019
End time (ms) → 2661732

Chapter No → 12
Start time (ms) → 2661732
End time (ms) → 3057257
Chapter name → Video

1 Like

So, is there a way to add one second before and after ad marker? Just like it can be done in comskip.

Welcome to the group first of all. But to answer you question yes I remove the PlayOn screen before and after the movies I recorded, if it’s Hulu, HBO/Max, CBS, Amazon Prime, etc. I’m not at home in front of my PC, but if you haven’t figured it out PM and I sent you some screenshots. I fairly new here myself and still learning.

Tony

You can add a second under the Expert Settings portion of the conversion task - it’s in the Audio and Video section (3rd). Good luck! Will.

Hi Will, thanks for your reply. Your solution cuts seconds in the beginning and end of the video. I already have it setup for 3 seconds to remove playon watermark. But that’s not what the original poster and I were asking. How to remove 1 second of commercial the software leaves? thanks,

I think a solution is to extract the commercial markers that playon produces so comskip can use it. Right now mcebuddy uses the markers that playon produces and doesn’t run comskip.

So if there’s a way that we can extract commercial markers that playon produces and then edit them to start a second earlier, we can then use mcebuddy to cut the commercials fully.

If there’s someone who knows how to do this, that would be greatly appreciated as I’m still learning how to use these programs.

You’re right - I misread the tooltips.

I think you can accomplish this in the global removes section of Comskip, but as Kamalr points out, you need to get PlayOn’s markers to ComSkip.

That’s an excellent suggestion. Can we submit that as a feature request to developer(s) ?