I’ve found that in many cases Plex will show ‘Unknown’ for the subtitle track or audio track as well. This is because the property value didn’t get set correctly in the .MKV file. Which I wrote a little script to fix.
Simply open your MCEBuddy profiles.conf file… (On windows located here:
C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\config) and then add the following lines to the end of the profile you’re using for converting your video or add it to multiple profiles that you use if you use more than one.
CustomCommandPath=C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe CustomCommandParameters="/c del /q "%edlfile%" "%srtfile%" & "C:\Program Files\MKVToolNix\mkvpropedit.exe" "%convertedfile%" --edit track:s1 --set language=eng" CustomCommandHangPeriod=100 CustomCommandCritical=true CustomCommandUISession=false CustomCommandShowWindow=false
A few things to know… I’m using MCEBuddy to convert to .mkv files and I’m merging the subtitle track into the mkv so I don’t need an extra external .srt file. So the first lines delete the edl file and srt files for cleanup. Then the property of the first subtitle track is set to Eng (English).
You’ll need to install MkvEdit first for this to work and if you want to set the property of an audio track, just add an additional line similar to:
--edit track:a1 --set language=eng
You can read the mkvpropedit help file for the specific command to set audio track types.
I’ve found this works perfectly and now I don’t have that annoying ‘Unknown’ for my subtitle tracks - since we always have the captions on in our house… and have Plex set to automatically display English subtitles, this was very helpful because Plex will start every show with them automatically now instead of having to select the ‘Unknown’ track.
Hope this helps someone else who’s come across the same issue.
P.S. And a giant THANK YOU to Goose for creating such an awesome and handy piece of software. I LOVE MCEBuddy.