Start Trim not to Keyframe, causing "no video" on output

Well that’s disappointing but not surprising.

Digging deeper into what’s going on, there’s definitely an issue with their MP4 files being created by the new software. If you want you can run their MP4’s through a software called MP4 inspector and if the MP4 is compliant with the specs it’ll give you a clean chit. In this case the recording uploaded by you showed that the MP4 file created has a problem with the moov atom structure. The moov atoms are critical to MP4’s because they contains all the information about what to find where and how it should work. In this case since PlayOn is creating a defective MP4 moov structure when ffmpeg (and MP4 Inspector) accesses that information it’s can’t get what it needs causing the video stream to drop out (infact ffmpeg also complains about missing video metadata after trying to cut a few seconds because it needs that information to resynchronize the video stream after cutting).

Here’s the output from MP4 inspector showing the defective MP4 moov atom structures. Maybe this will help PlayOn relook at their answer.

I will go ahead and send the information on to Playon and keep everyone on this thread informed.

I am not surprised by PlayOn considering it not a bug. For some interesting reading go read the Reddit r/playon there is years and years of neglect and complaints about the games they play. They are not a large company at all.

Hey, so tried some PlayOn sourced video today, with MCEBuddy 2.5r7, and it appears to handle the video files correctly when you clip at the start/end…

Captions are preserved, “Skip Remuxing” is OFF, so I’m calling success here!

Rather than expect that they fixed anything, I’m going to go out on a limb and thank @Goose for a bugfix/work-around. Much appreciated!

Playon has not responded. Because of that, I went ahead and started using a different tool than Playon that doesn’t have the problem.

This is PlayOn Cloud for me. Until I have fiber out here Greenville TX, I don’t use the PC version any longer. Too glitchy.

My work around has been using VideoProc with the copy option turned off so every bit has to be captured and converted into a fresh file. I just lose the chapter markers.