Minimum EDL cut length

Hello all,

I am looking for some assistance. I have used MCEBuddy for some time without any issues but recently have been hitting a wall with the software not cutting out the desired times. I mostly use to cut out the beginning and ending of files I recorded with PlayOn which adds in my IP info. Sometimes I also need to cut out commercial breaks as well. Again, have used MCEBuddy successfully for some time.

Recently, I make an EDL file of the times I intent to cut out and then run the conversion. It runs and creates the converted file. I noticed the times are not cut out in the final converted file. I do not think I am doing anything different (wrong) but there is always the possibility of user error.
Dog the Bounty Hunter - s03e03 - You Snooze, You Lose.mp4-Converted-1900-01-01T00-00-00.log (3.4 MB)

Attached is the log file of the file I tried running a few times today with the same results.

Any help would be appreciated and thank you again.

Based on the log the segments in the EDL are too short (has to be at least 4 seconds). Based on the log entries below you were just under that with 3.941 seconds. Can you verify this and/or post the contents of the EDL?

2022-02-01T09:32:36 MCEBuddy.CommercialScan.Scanner --> ParseEDL: Cut Segment Start:0.000 End:3.941 Action:0
--> ConvertCutListToKeepList: Skip initial segment, too small Start:0.000 Stop:0.000
--> ConvertCutListToKeepList: Keep end segment Start:3.941 Stop:1315.853
--> ConvertKeepListToCutList: Skip segment, too small Start:0.000 Stop:3.941
--> ConvertKeepListToCutList: Skip end segment, too small Start:1315.853 Stop:1315.853
--> ConvertKeepListToCutList Done
WARNING> 2022-02-01T09:32:36 MCEBuddy.CommercialScan.Scanner --> Empty EDL file detected

Thank you. I know I have done quick cuts that do not exceed 4 seconds in the past but I changed to make the cut 4 seconds however had the same results. I’ve added the new log file.
Dog the Bounty Hunter - s03e03 - You Snooze, You Lose.mp4-Converted-1900-01-01T00-00-00.log (3.4 MB)

Please let me know if there is anything else that looks out of place. Thank you all again for your assistance.

You attached the same log file based on date/time stamps in log.

Thank you. I cleared out my logs and ran another pass today and it worked. Thank you. So just so I am clear, I need to cut at least 4 sec? I thought I has cuts less than that however I will keep checking.

Thank you again for your assistance.

1 Like

Yes, cuts need to be 4 seconds or more long. This could have changed at some point in a release so you potentially could have had smaller cuts. Glad it’s working for you now.

I did try another go and made certain the cut was 4 seconds but had the same result with the time not being cut. Attached is the log file.
Dog the Bounty Hunter - s02e23 - Dog Is Smokin’.mp4-Converted-2022-02-02T15-11-18.log (3.6 MB)

The default is 20 seconds minimum to avoid issues with underlying encoders some of which can’t handle too small segments. You can adjust this number from the System Settings page