Keeping media tags after conversion?

I would like to use MCEBuddy only for commercial removal and trimming and I do not need to use it for metadata lookup or tagging.

My applications that create the video files already create good tags on the files (for instance Collection and AirDate). However, it seems like MCEBuddy always either overwrites or removes the tags in the final output file.

How do I configure MCEBuddy to keep media tags through the conversion process?

Check out the two settings in the Expert settings page of the Conversion task. One overwrites metadata from the internet while the other adds (or doesn’t) metadata to the final file.

Rest your mouse over the options to get instant pop up help.

I have tried all combinations of those 2 settings, but I still find that media tags get changed or removed.

Any other ideas?

When you’re converting a file a new file is created. A new file doesn’t have tags, so MCEBuddy copies the tags over from the original file to the new file. Not every tag is copied, but most tags are.

If you’re finding specific tags missing or an issue, attach the conversion log file so we can see what tags the original file had and what the destination file has. In your case, disable Download information and enable Add information

Thanks for you willingness to help! I uploaded a log to the ftp site under the folder tekforty.

See the image below also. Left is the original file, right is the converted file. Even though I am not downloading new information it seems to modify the “Track name” field as well as drop many other fields.

Okay I see what’s going on. Your original file seems to have a lot of custom metadata. MCEBuddy doesn’t copy all metadata, just select pieces based on requests and formats over the years. Hence you don’t see everything in the destination file.

What program/device are you using to record your content who’s generating that level of metadata?

You can open a feature request to copy all metadata from the source file to the destination. If so please provide us with sample files (10MB samples are good) for different types of shows (movies, sports, new, series/shows, documentaries etc) so we can test them properly. You can use the file splitter to provided to get the first 10MB of each recording and upload them to the server.

As for the title, MCEBuddy is parsing the title and breaking it up into season and episode. This was done for compatibility with players so they can organize the libraries.

INFORMATION> 2019-07-15T16:40:13 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData → Extracting Generic Tags
INFORMATION> 2019-07-15T16:40:13 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData → Read Tags: MPEG4 file detected using AppleTag
2019-07-15T16:40:13 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData → Looking for Season/Episode information in text
2019-07-15T16:40:13 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData → Pattern 1, Found Season/Episode information in text, Season:2019, Episode:220
2019-07-15T16:40:13 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData → Extracted Generic Tags: Title: PBS NewsHour
SubTitle: July 14, 2019 - PBS NewsHour Weekend full episode
Description: July 14, 2019 - PBS NewsHour Weekend full episode
Network:
Network Affiliate:
Parental Rating:
Media Credits: PBS NewsHour
Genres:
Season: 2019
Episode: 220
Banner:
Banner URL: https://image.pbs.org/video-assets/zYoTMvp-asset-mezzanine-16x9-EvhAkIf.jpg
IMDB Id:
MovieDB Id:
TVDB Id:
Is Show Movie: False
Is Show Sports: False
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 0001-01-01T00:00:00
RecordedDateTime: 2019-07-15T03:33:27
SeriesPremiereDate: 0001-01-01T00:00:00
CopyProtected: False
SageTV FileID:
SageTV MediaFileID: