Converting UHD Rip to 4K HVEC h265 MP4

Hi guys,

I’m trying to figure the best settings to use for my 4K disc back ups by recreating the flow I have for 1080p disc backups.

For 1080p discs, I create a lossless mkv backup and then as the source for “MP4 High Quality” conversion in MCEBuddy.

This normally results in a 20-30GB MKV being transcoded to a 6-8GB MP4 that is really good quality.

However, when I try to do the same with 4K UHD discs MCEBuddy somehow makes the file literally 4x larger.

My backup rip of 30Gb MKV gets converted to a 206GB MP4!!!

For some reason, MCEB also tries to temporarily store this 200GB+ file on my C: drive in mp4box despite me defining a secondary drive/folder as the temp working folder (but that’s a different problem)

I just don’t understand why this is creating a larger file instead of a smaller one.

What settings should I be using to go from a lossless 4K rip to something along the size of a 4K Netflix show or whatever?

If the answer is to remux to mp4 instead of trying re-encode to a smaller size, that’s fine, I just want to know I’m doing it right.

Log File

Attach your conversion log

I added a link to it in the original post. It’s too big to upload directly.

You’ve increased your quality slider to a 100% increase in quality

Quality Multipltier → 2

That’s why the size is increasing.

Also noticed that you’re converting a HEVC to HEVC so it’s a pretty lossy conversion because MCEBuddy is remuxing HEVC → MPEG2 and then reconverting using your profile → HEVC

Try this instead, check the skip remuxing box in the expert settings page of the conversion task and select the MP4 Unprocessed profile. Because you aren’t doing any commercial detection of subtitle extraction it should work fine without any recoding. This will maintain the original quality/video.

If you want to reduce the quality then check the Skip Remuxing and select the the h.265 profile but make sure you set the slider to 0%. This will reduce the quality but skip the intermediary MPEG2 remuxing thus improve the overall quality while reducing filesize and speeding up your conversion.

… If you want to reduce the quality then check the Skip Remuxing and select the the h.265 profile but make sure you set the slider to 0%. This will reduce the quality but skip the intermediary MPEG2 remuxing thus improve the overall quality while reducing filesize and speeding up your conversion.

I’m trying this now, but I’m but I don’t think it’s going to work for the following reason. I currently have the slider set to +100% or “2” as you called it, on my 1080p conversion tasks and it has NEVER resulted in a larger file. In fact, it results in a file size that is about 33% of the original lossless rip while maintaining an amazing quality.

I replicated your setup and ran a test and confirmed that was the reason. The logs show it set the quality to -q 0 which basically means it’ll increase your file size. As I had mentioned earlier it also depends on your profile and video codec settings.