Trouble Renaming Movie Files With No Metadata Available

I’ve got a task to rename and move files without any conversion, but as far as I can tell MCEBuddy is not getting any metadata from IMDB to correctly name the files. The files do not have any metadata for titles, year, etc. themselves.

The custom naming command I’m using is Movies%showname% - (%PremiereYear%)%showname% - (%PremiereYear%)
The forum doesn’t appear to show the backslashes, but they are there correctly.

I tried a movie titled “A Kiss in the Dark.mp4” and I tried adding the year “A Kiss in the Dark (1949).mp4” and the results ended up with “A Kiss in the Dark - ()\A Kiss in the Dark - ()” and (\A Kiss in the Dark - ()\A Kiss in the Dark - (1949)

I’m at a loss on what else to try. I’ve attached both log files.

A Kiss in the Dark - (1949).mp4-Arrange Movies Task-2018-03-31T10-35-49.2020727-05-00.log (119.1 KB)
A Kiss in the Dark.mp4-Arrange Movies Task-2018-03-31T10-31-24.3147941-05-00.log (119.7 KB)

It looks like it is getting some information from IMBD and TVDB, but then ignoring the %PremiereYear% renaming command when renaming the file.

The issue is that you file is referring to a movie and there nothing in the metadata telling MCEBuddy that it’s a movie so it’s trying to match it against a series.
The solution is to set your conversion task to force the type to movies in the Conversion Task -> Expert Settings page.

Once that’s done it’ll try to match the title against movie databases.

I tried that and it was not working out. I tried another file after I’d set the task to Movies as you’d suggested and when I read the log for that movie, I searched through the log and the IMDB Section had correct information about the movie, when it got to the custom naming section, it said. Warning --> Cannot Find PremiereYear.
I did a little experimenting and replaced %premiereyear% with %airyear% in my custom naming, and it is now naming the files how I want them to be.

I don’t know if this means MCEBuddy is not identifying the files as movies even though the option is selected or if I’m screwing something else up. I’m using version 2.4.8. Either way, it’s now naming the files the way that I want it to. If you’d like any more information, I’d be glad to provide it.

Son of Fury The Story of Benjamin Blake (1942).mp4-Arrange Movies-2018-04-03T19-12-58.5605128-05-00.log (121.5 KB)

I’ve had the same problem. I wonder if it has something to do with “premiere” vs “premier”. I’m away from the machine but maybe I’ll try changing the keyword to “PremierYear” and see if that works.

I should add that I’m new to MCEBuddy in general (only had it for two days) So I’ve only started reading the forum’s and documentation.

%premiereyear% and the rest of the premiere parameters only apply to “Series” and not “Movies”, for Movies just the %airyear% and other air parameters (Original broadcast date). I’ll update the documentation.

From your logs:

OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 1942-01-28T18:00:00
RecordedDateTime: 1899-12-31T18:00:00
SeriesPremiereDate: 1899-12-31T18:00:00

Thanks for the clarification. I changed the parameter to %airyear% and that worked for me too.


Dave H.

1 Like