GUI Text and Control Overlap - High DPI/Scaling

Request Type: BUG

MCEBuddy Version and Type (32bit or 64bit): 2.4.7 64bit

Operating System and Type (32bit or 64bit): Windows Server 2016 Standard with Desktop Experience

Summary of the problem or suggestion: Control label text overlaps, and as a result, controls are difficult to access.

Steps to replicate the bug: No steps other than to launch the GUI.

…And so on …

I had created multiple screenshots; one for each dialog where control text overlapped other controls. However, this forum will only allow me to include a single screenshot since this is my first post.

No conversion logs are necessary as this is a GUI issue not a conversion issue.

What DPI setting are you using? Is your scaling set to 100% or custom?

From what I can tell, my DPI setting is set to normal (the slider is in the middle). I’m noticing this while using Remote Desktop from a Windows 8.1 computer to connect to the Windows Server 2016 server running MCEBuddy. No custom scaling is set.

When using RDP I believe the scaling changes. Do check it out and confirm back. It should be standard 96dpi and 100% scaling

When using RDP, you actually can’t change the settings of the remote session. They are all disabled when you visit the dialog in the remote session. So it’s difficult to tell what the actual settings are.

Can you try it once directly on the computer local console/monitor.

Okay, so the default scaling factor in Windows 8.1 is 150% (what they refer to as “Larger”). So this is getting passed though to the server and sure enough that’s what’s causing the GUI display issues.

I found this registry setting that resolves the problem by disabling honoring the client display scaling factor:

Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Services\WinStations

Value: IgnoreClientDesktopScaleFactor DWORD 0x1

See also Microsoft knowledge base article 3026738.

While this works, perhaps a little work in the GUI at some point to support at least the default scaling factor?

Thanks for a great product!

1 Like

MCEBuddy does support higher scaling but we’ve only been able to test it upto 133%. Beyond that’s a little challenging as you can see the text size would need to made much smaller which may become difficult to read.