Using Handbrake presets

New to MCEbuddy, but I’ve been using Plex+Handbrake for some time.

I’ve been trying to find optimal transcode settings on MCEbuddy. I would take a pre-recorded TS file run a MCEbuddy preset and presumed similar Handbrake preset. However the MCEbuddy file was always significantly larger, even if the Handbrake file had 2 audio tracks (AC3+AAC). I did figure out if was using FFMPEG (looking closer at the logs, now I think I’m wrong). I’m not using hardware encoding, though that was checked. I edited the profiles.conf to add a test that removed all mentioned that FFMPEG, and that did work, though I still don’t have the same results as if I’m running a file through Handbrake.

My question is, how do I get MCEbuddy to use the presets from Handbrake, or at least get similar results?

Ultimately, I’d like to be using H265 with AC3 audio, and most of my clients are Apple devices.

Check out the documentation on how to write custom profiles:

You can also refer some of the existing profiles in profiles.conf and customize it to use handbrake presets. Feel free to post back here with your custom profile and if there’s any issue you’re facing.

There are profiles for H.265, H.264 and lots of other types as well in profiles.conf

Thanks for the reply.

I had been looking at that page, but I wasn’t 100% sure what options I should adjust.

I ended up adjusting 2 parts to match what the Handbrake preset for H.265 MKV 1080p and I was able to similar results. It was adjusting the preset from medium to slow and quality to 22.

handbrake-video=–start-at duration:3 -e x265 --encoder-preset slow -q 22

1 Like