AMD AV1 Hardware encoding not working

Just upgraded to 2.6.3 and when I try to use AV1 with hardware encoding it only uses Software.

My system is: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics. I believe the GPU is a Radeon Vega 8.

Any ideas? The GPU does hardware encoding fine with h264/h265

Attached is the log file from one of my attempts.

The Equalizer 3.mp4-Convert to MP4-2024-04-13T19-42-11 - Copy.log (26.5 KB)

Thanks,

Joel

Nope. Only the 6000 series (mobile) and 7000 series (desktop) CPUs/APUs have integrated GPU HW AV1 support.

From AMD GPU Decoder Device Information
and [Reddit r/AV1] List of CPU SOC with AV1 support
The AMD APUs (CPU with integrated GPU) with HW AV1 support are:

• Radeon Graphics (Rembrandt/Raphael/Mendocino)
  • Radeon 610M
  • Radeon 780M

This is how AMD defines AV1 support from the GPU graphics technology viewpoint:

• RDNA2 = AV1 decode (RX 6800 GPUs)
  • RDNA3 = AV1 decode/encode (RX 7900 GPUs)

Here is how that maps from the GPU to the AMD APU Radeon iGPU features:
Source: AMD Reveals Mendocino Zen 2 APUs With RDNA 2 Graphics | Tom's Hardware

• Rembrandt = Ryzen 6000 “premium” mobile CPUs = Zen3+ with RDNA2 = AV1 decode only

• Mendocino = Ryzen 6020 “budget” mobile CPUs = Zen2 with RDNA2 = AV1 decode only

• Raphael = Ryzen 7000 desktop CPUs = Zen4 with RDNA3 = AV1 decode and encode

Your APU, the Ryzen 7 5800H is a mobile CPU (Cezanne) with a Zen3 core with the Vega 8 iGPU technology. Notably, this is not RDNA-based, and as a result, all of your AV1 encoding and decoding are being done by the CPU, and not by the native iGPU. In short, no HW AV1 support. :cry:

Sorry about the news you probably didn’t want to hear.
And yes, AMD’s CPU numbering system is just a hot mess.
Here is the Anandtech secret decoder ring.

That is what I was afraid of. Thanks for the reply.

Joel

Don’t feel bad. I’m doing my transcoding with a 4th gen (Haswell) i5 and it takes 2-3 hours to transcode an hour-long show. I just let it run all night. We also have a Tivo Roamio OTA for time shifting (record now, watch later). I use KMTTG for stuff I want to keep, and Silicon Dust Quattro for bulk recording stuff I want to keep anyway or binge watch the whole season without tying up the Tivo or storage.

My experience is that H.265 encoding isn’t that much bigger for the same quality, and I can use my nVidia 2060 to do HW encoding to H.265. I’d have to upgrade to an RTX 40-series to get HW GPU encoding for AV1.

My main interest in using AV1 is the royalty-free aspect, meaning future device and open source project adoption is likely to be more widespread than products and projects that have additional MPEG encumbered licensing fees for H.264 and H.265 to consider.

I’m about to build a new computer, I manage three NAS for audio, video and photoshop projects. I’ve been working through my library transcoding them all to H.265. Should I get a seperate video card or stay with the CPU integrated video?

Dedicated GPU HW transcoding is going to be far faster than CPU HW transcoding.

It also depends on the CPU. Between my 4th gen Haswelll i5 and a RTX 2060, it was like 1:1 on the CPU (1 hour of video takes 1 hour to transcode), and 3:1 on the GPU (1 hour of video takes 20 minutes to transcode). For comparison, CPU transcoding of a 3-hour HD show takes about 8 hours to transcode to AV1. But I have an ancient CPU, so there’s that.

It also depends on how much video you’re recording and transcoding and how long after recording do you need it transcoded to H.265. For me, I can let it run all night while I sleep and that’s good enough.