Regular Expression to prevent commercial skipping

Request Type:
Feature

MCEBuddy Version and Type (32bit or 64bit):
2.4.9 BETA 64Bit

Operating System and Type (32bit or 64bit):
Windows 10 64-bit

Summary of the problem or suggestion:
It is currently required to create two separate conversion tasks if COMSKIP needs to be run for some files but not others. This is a common occurrence with many use cases where PBS or Pay vs. non-pay TV is involved.

It would be very useful if there was a new prompt for a regular expression that, when matching a file in question, would skip commercial processing. This expression could key off a channel numbers, a list of shows, etc.

This would allow a single conversion task to selectively run Commercial skipping only where it is necessary.

MCEBuddy already supports regular expressions in filters. (see the pop up help last line)

Just start the filter with regex: and then enter the pattern

If one task were to take multiple actions based on filters, how would that be presented visually?

I did a bad job of explaining the issue and the requested remedy.

Assuming that I am starting with a large number of files from multiple channels/sources, etc. They are all in the same directory structure, but some need to run with ComSkip and others do not need commercial checking (since they are from Pay TV like HBO or Public TV).

The only way that I know how to do this is to set up two nearly identical conversion tasks. Every parameter would be the same except for the Commercial Skipping value. I’d then have to set up file filters for both to make sure that the right show get matched to the right conversion tasks. This is a pain to have to keep two profiles up-to-date regularly.

My suggestion here is: Add a field that accepts a “Commercial Skip Regular Expression”. If it matches, ComSkip would run. If not, the file would be left alone.

This would allow for a single conversion task rather than two. The new Regular Expression would govern whether each individual file would get commercial processing or not.

That is the suggestion that I am trying to make. Hopefully this makes more sense than the original …

1 Like

Got it, if enough folks vote for this we’ll prioritize it