Handbrake error using Intel QSV HEVC encoder (Resolved by Upgrading HandbrakeCLI)

Request Type:
BUG

MCEBuddy Version and Type (32bit or 64bit):
2.5.5 64bit

Operating System and Type (32bit or 64bit):
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Summary of the problem or suggestion:
2020-07-27T18:36:01 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Handbrake → [18:36:01] qsv_hevc_make_header: MFXVideoENCODE_EncodeFrameAsync failed (-5)
2020-07-27T18:36:01 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Handbrake → ERROR: encqsvInit: qsv_hevc_make_header failed
2020-07-27T18:36:01 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Handbrake → ERROR: Failure to initialise thread ‘Quick Sync Video encoder (Intel Media SDK)’

I came across this same issue with the previous version of Handbrake I was using outside of MCEBuddy. The latest version of Handbrake resolves the issue. I downloaded Handbrake CLI manually and put it in the handbrake folder under MCEBuddy to resolve the issue.

Steps to replicate the bug:
Encode using handbrake and intel qsv hevc. Source from from PlayLater.

handbrake-general=–decomb --auto-anamorphic --verbose=2
handbrake-video=–start-at duration:0 -e qsv_h265 --encoder-preset quality -q 28 -vfr
handbrake-audio=–aencoder copy --audio-copy-mask aac,ac3,eac3,truehd,dts,dtshd,mp3,flac -R auto --all-audio
handbrake-audioac3=–aencoder copy --audio-copy-mask aac,ac3,eac3,truehd,dts,dtshd,mp3,flac -R auto --all-audio
handbrake-ext=.mkv
handbrake-audiodelay=skip

Screenshots:

Can you include the log file (and possibly the upload the original video so we can replicate it).

Starting 2.5.5 we have two different versions of handbrake included with MCEBuddy. The older version is much faster for some intel platforms for hardware encoding and is used by MCEBuddy when using hardware encoding on an intel platform (the logs will show). Do you know which one you replaced?

Due to the TOS within the PlayOn software I am unable to share the original video with you. However, here is the log.
Letterkenny - S01E01 - Ain’t No Reason to Get Excited.mp4-TV Stream 14-2020-07-27T18-34-41.log (1.9 MB)

1 Like

Got it thanks, looks like you’re using a custom profile with forced hardware encoding:

handbrake-UsingHardwareEncoding=true

and thus it’s using the standard handbrake v/s the older hardware optimized handbrake version which is what you’ve replaced with the latest build.

We’ll get the latest handbrake tested and update it with the next build.

What version did you download?

HandBrakeCLI-1.3.3-win-x86_64

Fixed in today 2.5.5 BETA build