Conversion failed: Incompatible video parameters while decoding QSV

My conversions of shows broadcast in h.264 are failing in MCEBuddy 2.5.3. MCEBuddy generates a partial video file, which freezes during play halfway into the show. The log contains many lines reading

2020-04-18T09:04:51 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Handbrake --> [h264_qsv @ 00000000033ccf00] Error during QSV decoding.: incompatible video parameters (-14)
An abbreviated log file is attached and the full length is linked here.

Help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

log_short.log (2.0 MB)

You’re using a older Intel system with a Sandy Bridge chipset. That was the 1st gen Intel QSV chipset which ran into an error while trying to decode the h264 video (you’re converting h264 to h264).

2020-04-18T09:04:51 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Handbrake → [h264_qsv @ 00000000033ccf00] Error during QSV decoding.: incompatible video parameters (-14)

We’ve put in a patch to detect this QSV decoder failure and retry without using hardware decoding. Download the latest 2.5.4 BETA version of MCEBuddy and it again, this time it should detect the QSV failure and adjust the parameters to convert successfully.

Thank you Goose. To clarify, for each conversion it will always try hardware encoding first and revert to no-hardware encoding upon error, correct?

I am asking because most of my recordings are mpeg2 and I have no issues with these and would like to use hardware encoding as much as possible to save conversion time.

Yes that’s correct. Let me know how it goes.

@Goose: Success, this seems to have done the trick. If the error must be encountered and cannot be predicted, then it seems the patch is the solution. It does waste some time by converting 30-50% of the file using the bad parameters first, but it does work and that is the main goal. If you are interested, I am linking a new log here.

Thank you for the prompt fix!!!

Thanks for the logs. There’s no way predict when you hardware decoder will fail. In this case the hardware decoder fails about 60% into the file when it encountered a video stream it couldn’t process. If it never encounters and errors then all’s good, if it does encounter an error now MCEBuddy will detect it and compensate for it.

Great, thanks @Goose, consider this one solved. I processed several shows with the 2.5.4 beta and they all work great. Thank you for maintaining this great tool!

1 Like