An issue with comments/description getting cut off

I ran a bunch of mp4 movies through MCEBuddy to clean up the names/titles & metadata. I noticed that the comment/description was cut off in every instance. I wasn’t able to identify a pattern of special characters, but did notice that it only occurred when “Overwrite metadata from internet” was set to default. I’ve included screenshots of my settings in case it’s helpful.

I’m running the latest beta version, and had the same issues on the latest stable version.

Examples:
300: Rise of an Empire
Description in original file: Based on Frank Miller’s graphic novel Xerxes, and told in the breathtaking visual style of the blockbuster “300,” this new chapter of the epic saga takes the action to a fresh battlefield - on the sea - as Greek general Themistokles attempts to unite all of Greece by leading the charge that will change the course of the war. “300: Rise of an Empire” pits Themistokles against the massive invading Persian forces led by mortal-turned-god Xerxes, and Artemisia, vengeful commander of the Persian navy.
Description in converted file: Based on Frank Miller’s graphic novel Xerxes, and told in the breathtaking visual style of the

A Simple Favor
Description in original file: A Simple Favor, directed by Paul Feig, centers around Stephanie (Anna Kendrick), a mommy vlogger who seeks to uncover the truth behind her best friend Emily’s (Blake Lively) sudden disappearance from their small town. Stephanie is joined by Emily’s husband Sean (Henry Golding) in this stylish thriller filled with twists and betrayals, secrets and revelations, love and loyalty, murder and revenge.
Description in converted file: A Simple Favor, directed by Paul Feig, centers around Stephanie (Anna Kendrick), a mommy vlogger who

Can you attach your conversion log so we can replicate the settings and see what’s going on.

I did a quick test here on the latest 2.4.11 BETA and it’s working fine, I can see the complete description in the metadata in the converted file:

2019-05-22T10:07:37 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.FFmpegMediaInfo → “description”: “A Simple Favor, directed by Paul Feig, centers around Stephanie (Anna Kendrick), a mommy vlogger who seeks to uncover the truth behind her best friend EmilyΓÇÖs (Blake Lively) sudden disappearance from their small town. Stephanie is joined by Emily’s husband Sean (Henry Golding) in this stylish thriller filled with twists and betrayals, secrets and revelations, love and loyalty, murder and revenge.”,

You may want to check what program you’re using to read back the metadata, some of them have limitations. For example, ffmpeg (if you see at the end of log file where it tries to read back the metadata), limits the number of characters it prints on the console/screen.

I first noticed it in Plex, then in Windows explorer when I looked at the actual files.

I’ve attached screenshots from Plex & the logs in case it’s helpful.
300_ Rise of an Empire (2014).mp4-Convert to MP4-2019-05-24T15-02-00.0188336-07-00.log (81.0 KB)
A Simple Favor (2018).mp4-Convert to MP4-2019-05-24T14-58-07.7189402-07-00.log (79.7 KB)

The logs were helpful. I see what’s going on. While reading the embedded tags from original file it seems to be truncated:

MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData → Extracted Generic Tags: Title: A Simple Favor (2018).H264.AAC-2.2019.5.13
SubTitle:
Description: A Simple Favor, directed by Paul Feig, centers around Stephanie (Anna Kendrick), a mommy vlogger who
Network:

Can you upload one of the original files to our server so we can analyze what’s going on?

Sure! Can you point me to the instructions on how/where to do so?

I’ve uploaded the original file to the server.

1 Like

I don’t see the video file, only a description text file

Sorry about that, the file is there now.

Is that the original file or the converted file? The description in that file is truncated.
I need the original source file which you’re trying to convert with the complete description.

That’s the original file. I’ve attached a screenshot showing the metadata of the original file on the left & the metadata of the converted file on the right. It seems the field that’s changing is the long description. I’ve uploaded both MediaInfo downloads to the FTP site in case that’s helpful.

1 Like

I see the issue, if you look at the original file, the Description is cut short where as the Long description is complete. MCEBuddy starts by looking at the description and if it isn’t there then it moves onto the Long description.

We’ve patched in today’s 2.4.11 BETA so it’ll read the long description first and then move onto the description so that should fix it.

1 Like

the new version works beautifully!!

Again, it’s incredible how quickly you’re able to push through a solution!! Thank you!!

1 Like