Repeating Segment after commercial cut

Quite often my shows will have the first segment of a show repeat after commercials are cut from the show. The result is the show starts over and part of the show is lost. Normally at the next commercial cut the show resumes where it should have been but the previous segment was lost.

I am using the lastest donator version (beta) of MceBuddy and donator version of comskip.

Can you attach your conversion log and if you can please upload the original file to our server so we can replicate and analyze the issue. (see the Read Me before posting topic for upload instructions).

Thanks for your reply. I have uploaded the original debug log to the server. Forgive me but I do not see how to “attach” a file to this post. Is it the “upload” symbol?Life Below Zero - 73 - 2018-05-03.ts-Convert to MP4-2018-05-04T16-29-07.0656951-05-00.txt (1.4 MB)

Edit: I have uploaded the first chuck of the log file to this post.

1 Like

Your logs look fine per se, no errors from mcebuddy and the commercial segments are identified properly.

However, I see a huge amounts of video errors in your file:

2018-05-04T16:31:44 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.FFmpeg → [mpegts @ 000002848698a0c0] Non-monotonous DTS in output stream 0:0; previous: 38968203, current: 38968203; changing to 38968204. This may result in incorrect timestamps in the output file.
2018-05-04T16:32:16 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.FFmpegMediaInfo → Last message repeated 6 times
2018-05-04T16:32:16 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.FFmpegMediaInfo → Past duration 0.720543 too large
2018-05-04T16:32:16 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.FFmpegMediaInfo → Past duration 0.720833 too large

To debug this any further I will need your original video file to replicate the issue, most likely it’s a corrupted video file causing the timestamps to get messed up.
That would causing repeating segments while cutting them and would probably be the root cause of your issue.

I have uploaded the original .ts file to the server. The video is very noisy. This channel has always been this way (Analog channel). Maybe that is why some programs work fine and others (about 25%) have this problem. Thanks for looking.

I uploaded a second log file to the server (Deadliest Catch) which has the same problem with the starting segment repeating during the show. This time it was recorded from a better channel that has good video quality. I uploaded the .mk4 also to show what is actually happening. the first segment appears again about 3/4 through the show. The log shows similar errors as above. I will upload the .ts file in the morning as it will take almost 3 hours to upload.

Deadliest Catch - 54 - 2018-05-07_1.ts-Convert to MP4-2018-05-08T00-05-55.4936412-05-00.log (1.4 MB)

Okay so I checked out the original file and the timestamps are very heavily corrupted which is why ffmpeg isn’t able to cut the segments properly and it’s causing the repeating segment issue.

The good new is that there’s a workaround, in your profile change this line from true to false, ie:

PreConversionCommercialRemover=false

What this does is force MCEBuddy to remove commercials after the conversion and by then the timestamps have been sanitized and clean up a bit so it works fine, however the downside is that it takes a little longer since it’s converting the video first and then removing the commercials.

If you update to today’s 2.4.9 BETA build it’ll also run a little faster v/s the older versions.

Thank you. I updated to today’s 2.4.9 BETA and changed the profile as you suggested. It worked great!! I am not really concerned about the additional conversion time since most of my recordings occur in the background and usually late at night or early in the morning. Great product.

Bob

1 Like