Remote Engine Walkthrough?

I have read through the MCEBuddy 2.x Remote Client Guide.docx, but am still confused. Can someone explain what the use case is?

1. Is it to push CPU crunching to a second machine so that your current machine is not so taxed?
  2. Is it to divide and conquer conversions, e.g. Computer A, which is monitoring for new conversion jobs, sends the first job to Computer B, then starts converting the second job on the queue. When either A or B finishes a job, it is assigned the next job in the queue, until the job queue is empty?

Using the naming convention in (2), which machine (A or B) is considered the “remote client”?

I will reply to my own question, as it was mostly answered in a different thread:

Both use cases 1 and 2 in my original question were wrong.

(I my defense, I have yet to read somewhere that clearly explains why you would want to have a remote engine. I’m sure it is somewhere, but I’ve been looking for the last few days, searching this forum, the local documentation, and the Googles.)

Remote engines appear to be a simple monitoring utility. You would independently set up a conversion task on Computer A. You can then, from Computer B, run a remote client app (available as a separate zip file for the latest beta 2.4.9) that simply monitors the conversion task on Computer A. Thus while sitting at Computer B, you need not keep looking at Computer A to monitor Computer A’s conversion process.

Many folks install the engine in headless machines. Others have multiple engines installed on multiple computers.

The remote client is a way to connect to the machines from a single place and monitor them all.

There are folks processing 1000+ videos a day and others removing and processing commercials on a continuous basis.

Yes, it makes sense. Always weird how much naming can shape your assumptions.

I assumed a remote engine would be a service on another system where you could temp load a local file and let that remote computer convert your file for you.

Sounds like this is really meant as a remote monitor. It seems weird that you would have essentially the entire gui there if all you are doing on the remote client is monitor progress. If I were more involved, I might push for a change in the naming convention. But it is your party, and I’m overall enjoying it.

Thanks, all, got it sorted.

The name of the file is remote client. Where do you see remote engine?

It can monitor and configure remotely, basically a configuration and status interface.

When you connect the remote client to the other machine, the gui shows engine: 192.x.x.x I assumed that 192.x.x.x could be called the remote engine.

A lot of time (for me) could have been saved if you simply define terms and use cases at the top of MCEBuddy 2.x Remote Client Guide.docx

1 Like

Good feedback, we’ve updated the Remote Client guide. You can download the latest BETA build and let us know your feedback on the updated guide.