MCEBuddy service is unavailable

Using the premium version on windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64, MCEBuddy 2.4.7.

First install didn’t work, I ended up going through the complete removal and clean install and finally got it to work. Found out today that it wasn’t connecting to the MCEBuddy service correctly.

The service is started correctly in services.msc. I’ve started and restarted the service multiple times and tried connecting with the GUI, to no avail: “MCEBuddy service is unavailable”.

The MCEBuddy log folder is empty, but looking at the windows logs I see this:

12:02:05 PM (Information):

MCEBuddy service OnStart called

12:02:06 PM (Error):

MCEBuddy service failed to start. Error:System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: source at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource](IEnumerable1 source, Func2 predicate) at MCEBuddy.Util.Ini.ReadString(String section, String key, String defVal) at MCEBuddy.Configuration.MCEBuddyConf.ReadMonitorSettings(Ini configIni) at MCEBuddy.Configuration.MCEBuddyConf…ctor(String configFile) at MCEBuddy.Service.ServiceModule.OnStart(String args)

12:02:06 PM (Information):

Service started successfully.

12:02:40 PM (Information):

MCEBuddy OnPowerEvent called by System, Event → PowerStatusChange

12:02:40 PM (Error):

Failed in handling the PowerEvent. The error that occurred was: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: source at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource](IEnumerable1 source, Func2 predicate) at MCEBuddy.Util.Ini.ReadString(String section, String key, String defVal) at MCEBuddy.Configuration.MCEBuddyConf.ReadMonitorSettings(Ini configIni) at MCEBuddy.Configuration.MCEBuddyConf…ctor(String configFile) at MCEBuddy.Service.ServiceModule.OnPowerEvent(PowerBroadcastStatus powerStatus) at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.DeferredPowerEvent(Int32 eventType, IntPtr eventData).

I’ve tried clean reinstalling and it still happens. Any thoughts?

Your configuration files are corrupted. Try doing a clean install on a different hard disk.

1 Like

Can I remove the configuration files or do I have to do a whole reinstall? Where are they located?

You can’t remove them as since they have pre defined templates from the install that come. See the instructions for a clean install to see where all they are kept and backed up.

1 Like

Ok thanks, that fixed it.