Format for Emby

Newbie here…
I want to clip commercials and rename Sage TV recordings for use with Emby and have so far figured out…
Change sage.properties to have it make xml files.
Edit profiles.conf and create a new profile with some code.
I can probably use this code from the SageTV forum

“%ismovie%<\RecordedTV\Movies%showname% (%airyear%),%issport%<\RecordedTV%showname% %recordyear%-%recordmonth%-%recordday% - %recordhour%%recordminute% - %episodename% -%airingdbid%-0,%ifepisode%<\DVR%showname%%showname% (%premiereyear%) - S%season%##E%episode%## - %episodename% ,\RecordedTV%showname% %recordyear%-%recordmonth%-%recordday% - %recordhour%%recordminute% -%airingdbid%-0>>>”

Do I just stick this into profiles.conf with a heading and call it in the app – or am I missing something really basic (I assume that I am).

I need some remedial information about profile coding, syntax, etc. I found a couple pages from Codeplex, but have been unable to find an old forum that might have the same questions I have when starting from scratch.

Apologize for the bold type. I don’t know how to get rid of it.

No you don’t need to edit the profiles.conf file at all unless you want to create custom conversions settings for your encoders. See the tag #documentation for a list of all help pages or head to documentation.mcebuddy2x.com to get details.

You can do almost everything through the GUI.

You will enter your naming pattern above in the Conversion Task page under custom rename pattern.

I am getting an error trying to process the script: ‘mcebuddy unable to communicate with engine’’ Task manager reports the mcebuddy service is running. The scrolling header in mcebuddy says: “MCEBuddy Status: MCEBuddy Stopped”.

Not sure what to do.

I foumd the correct way to rename and tried it, but am getting an error trying to process the script: ‘mcebuddy unable to communicate with engine’’ Task manager reports the mcebuddy service is running. The scrolling header in mcebuddy says: “MCEBuddy Status: MCEBuddy Stopped”.

Not sure what to do.

I am using the free version for now, testing whether the software and I have the means to accomplish what I’m trying to do. Then I’ll purchase the paid version.

The PC has a new installation of Windows 8.1 as of a week ago.

Check out the Common Issues post. Something in your system is blocking MCEBuddy, maybe an anti virus or firewall.

Is this something that would allow mp4 conversions but not renaming? I was able to convert and comskip a TS file into an Mp4 using the profile, but later not able to rename.

That’s a very vague question and I don’t see the co relation to the original post. Please attach your conversion log file to identify the issue.

…EDIT> I deleted the setting I had for Comskip.ini on an Advanced page and tried converting the original file and no longer get the error.

Is there a way to use the ‘.edl’ file that Sage TV provides to process the file and thereby speed up the process? <EDIT…

Sorry for the delay in responding, did not have access to PC for awhile. I"ve given up trying to rename files, and now simply want to use the Comskip “.edl” file that Sage has generated to process the “.ts” recorded file and remove the commercials that Sage has found. This way, I can view the recordings via Emby without commercials. Is this possible with MCB?

My problem is that when I save the settings that I’ve tried to set correctly to remove the commercials from a “.ts” file I get an 'Unable to update Engine configuration settings message and my settings are discarded. When I use the MP4 conversion profile (that is already selected when I open MCB) it successfully converts the video, so I doubt that I am having firewall or virus protection issues.

Here is an portion of the Event Log that I believe shows this issue.

MB Engine Fail.txt (3.62 KB)

Hmm this is interesting.

First yes it’s possible. Just make sure the EDL file lies along with the source video and has the same filename. Ensure that commercial detection is enabled in your conversion task (select Comskip for example) and MCEBuddy will automatically use the EDL file to create cuts and make chapter if that option is selected.

I didn’t quite understand your second part. The error log is showing that windows had a problem getting the GUI and engine to communicate. Are you saying this happens only when you select a specific option or setting? If so what setting is that ?

So if I include the .edl file, MCEBuddy will not fire up Comskip to scan the file and simply use the .edl file and chop and reassemble the source?

Second Part setting:, Capture

I believe this is where I’d put a special Comskip.ini if I wanted to change the default. When I select the same file I used for the default Comskip earlier (which, by the way, is in a subdirectory under the MCEBuddy ‘Program Files’ directory called ‘comskip donator’) the message ‘Unable to update Engine Configuration’ and it bounces me out of Settings.

That is correct.

Correct. But I’m unable to replicate your issue, I’m able to select it and it’s working fine.
Can you try to put your donator version of comskip and ini into a non administrative folder like C:\ComskipDonator and the try it. I’m wondering if that’s causing the issue.

Thanks; I wondered if that was the problem… I’ll try that and report back.

Tried it, and the first time it gave me the error message. I went back in and my comskip entry from the first time was displayed, so even though I got the error message, the setting was retained. When I closed out the second time I did not get an error message.

Update… I have multiple instances of MCEBuddy.GUI running at once. When I close them out using Task Manager then start MCEBuddy again, I am able to save my settings.

It sounds like your installation may have issue communicating between the engine and the GUI, it could be a busy CPU or some other program like a firewall intercepting and dropping commands. You can try by turning off the firewall (Windows or third party) and see if that helps.

Update… I have multiple instances of MCEBuddy.GUI running at once. When I close them out using Task Manager then start MCEBuddy again, I am able to save my settings.

1 Like

That’s probably it, so many of them communicating at the same time with the engine is probably overloading the communication pipe causing the errors.

Wondering if we should limit the GUI to only one instance at a time. @RBoy

My screen only shows one instance of MCEBuddy at any time. I close out of the GUI by selecting the ‘X’ at the top right of the window. When I do that, I see an additional instance of MCEBuddy.GUI appear in Task Manager. The only way I can remove the MCEBuddy.GUI instances in TM is to tell TM to end the task.

After I close the MCEB window and remove all instances, the next time I run MCEB the window appears but there is not an MCEBuddyGUI task in TM. Once I close it, the task appears. Etc.

When you press the X it minimizes MCEBuddy to the System Tray, you can reopen it by clicking on the icon in the system tray. To close the GUI, click on Close or press the Esc key.

When I press ‘X’, MCEBuddy disappears from the system tray. When I press ‘-’, MCEBuddy disappears from the system tray.

For all other windows (File Explorer, Pale Moon, Notepad, etc, etc.,) ‘X’ removes the program from the system tray and stops the task in TM. Pressing ‘-’ minimizes the task to the system tray and allows the task to continue running in TM.

Are you confusing the System Tray with the TaskBar? The TaskBar is the bar at the bottom which lists all the windows. The System Tray is the little box on the bottom right corner where the data/time is show and the all the other system/application (system tray) icons (like Network, Battery, etc). There’s where you find MCEBuddy when it’s minimized to the System Tray